Saturday, May 6, 2006

Arrrrr

It looks like I will in fact have to buy a new router thanks to Comcast's DNS server "up"grades. I tried a workaround that someone posted online, setting my router's DNS servers statically, but that hasn't helped. The problem is that DNS queries will either be instantaneous, or take so long that the browser times out—it seems that when the router receives the DNS information, it hangs for a very long time trying to process it, as it stops responding to requests on the local network during that time. The actual connection speed isn't affected.

Of course, I don't really know what I'm talking about...

6 comments:

ianonymous said...

aw, was that caveat at the end for me?

Steven said...

I like the new blog layout. It's pretty.

Travis said...

ianonymous—just some helpful information for anyone who didn't already know. :)

Steven said...

Come to think about it, I had issues with DNS stuff with Comcast last summer. I can't remember what I did but I either 1) set the router to give the actual DNS number to the computers rather than do cacheing itself or 2) just set the dns on my computer to the closest/fastest dns server I could find.

If that helps. Routers are fairly cheap though.

Lincoln said...

I've been having this problem lately, but only on one of my computers (my powerbook). Initial DNS lookups when browsing the Web were taking way too long, sometimes timing out; but after the initial page load (e.g. www.slashdot.org), subsequent page loads not requiring a DNS lookup (e.g. www.slashdot.org/bash_m$/) were as fast as expected. I fixed this my manually specifying a couple DNS servers in my router settings (4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2). It's strange that a router-level fix like this was needed for a DNS lookup problem that was only reproing for ONE machine on my network.

Travis said...

Hmm, it sounds like other people are having luck with the static DNS workaround. Maybe I'll take another look at that.